Monday, June 14, 2010

Think Green

Green has comes in so many colors. Sometimes it is hard to call them by name. On my recent trip to the lake, my friend and I were trying to come up with a name for beautiful shade of water on that rainy and cloudy day. We thought it was blue, but green. When we looked at the water – it seemed to be blue, but surrounding mountains and clouds made water and air look green. Nature is just awesome regardless of weather. Green is a big word now. Many people want to be “green”, because it is trendy; save “green” being “green”; be “green” for future generations, for themselves, and so on….

I catch myself being obsessed with thinking “green”. Yes, it does save some “green” being “green”, but where is the limit of being so eco-logically conscious? Sometimes I think I am the only freak who separates organic from recyclable and other waste; buy only necessary items, drag my eco-bags and reuse every possible shopping bag, lower AC/heat at work (do not have AC at home), donate everything possible to others, reuse containers, do not buy processed food, reuse water from fresh flowers to water other plants; reuse old towels and clothing for rags… and the list goes on and on. Where do I stop? I like “eco-me”, but I get so discouraged seeing trash on the side of the road, explaining recycling to my co-workers over and over again, or even worse – to my friends who DO NOT CARE! How do I change their thinking? I was lucky – I was brought up with green philosophy. My parents were always very “organic”. Back then it was easy, especially in my country (Poland) where McDonald’s did not exist, but what about others? I do not want to be the only “freak” on the green block…

No comments: